THE MARYLAND CAMPAIGN OF 1862: THROUGH ARKANSAS EYES
The two brigades of Walker’s Division were Ransom’s Brigade made up of the 24th, 25th, 35th and 49th North Carolina under Brigadier General Robert Ransom, Jr. The brigade also was assigned French’s Battery commanded by Captain Thomas B. French. Walker’s old Brigade was commanded by Col. Vannoy Hartrog Manning from Hamburg, AR, and consisted of the 3rd Arkansas, 27th, 46th and 48th North Carolina and the 30th Virginia along with Branch’s Battery under Captain James R. Branch. The two brigades along with the artillery batteries consisted of about 5000 men.
The Division proceeded north arriving at Big Spring just north of Leesburg, VA on the night of September 6th. Lee’s army had already crossed the Potomac River at White’s Ford and was on its way to Frederick, MD. Walker marched north on September 7th and crossed the Potomac at Cheek’s Ford. The Division arrived near Frederick late morning of September 9th.
Walker reported to General Lee and was ordered to destroy the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal aqueduct where the Monocacy River empties into the Potomac River. The location of this aqueduct was located south of Frederick. Lee warned Walker that there were Union Forces in the area and to be vigilant.