THE MARYLAND CAMPAIGN OF 1862: THROUGH ARKANSAS EYES
The aqueduct was a 7 arched concrete and stone edifice that is really a concrete canal the width of a canal boat or barge that was built over the confluence of the Monocacy and Potomac Rivers. It allowed unfettered flow of river traffic on the C&O Canal, while its arches allowed boat traffic from the Monocacy to enter the Potomac River. Its destruction would have caused untold problems for the Union transportation of goods and supplies.
After 3 hours of rest Walker’s Division marched toward the aqueduct about 5:00 PM arriving at 10:00PM. After scattering Union Pickets they immediately went to work on the demolition. However, nothing seems to make a dent in the concrete. The Confederate augers were too dull to create a hole for gunpowder to blow up the aqueduct. It was finally determined that it would take days to complete the project and General Walker was leery of the possible increase of Union forces in the area. Since the Division’s arrival and skirmish, this was a definite possibility.
At about 4:00 AM on September 10ththe project was abandoned and the division went into bivouac just west of the Monocacy.
Late in the afternoon of the 10th Special Order 191 was delivered to General Walker. Orders for each segment of the Army of Northern Virginia had arrived and Walker’s Division had been assigned a necessary part for the success of the Maryland Campaign.